France — Proving once again that he has arrived as one of the fastest sprinters in the world, Garmin-Slipstream rider Tyler Farrar finished third in Stage 10 of the Tour de France. The American finished just behind Brit Mark Cavendish and green jersey points leader Thor Hushovd, who were first and second respectively.
The 194.5km stage from Limoges to Issoudun finished in a bunch sprint after Garmin-Slipstream helped lead the effort to chase down a four-man breakaway that escaped early in the day. The break was caught with 2km to go, and Farrar put himself into position to contest the sprint.
Farrar now has three top-five stage finishes in this year’s Tour: second in Stage 2, fourth in Stage 5, and third in Stage 10.
Meanwhile, Garmin-Slipstream riders Bradley Wiggins and Christian Vande Velde remain in the top-10 overall, sitting comfortably in seventh and eighth overall heading into Wednesday’s Stage 11.
TOUR DE FRANCE STAGE 10 RESULTS:
Limoges to Issoudun, 194.5km
1. Mark Cavendish (GB), Columbia-HTC, in 4:46:43
2. Thor Hushovd (Nor), Cervelo Test Team, same time
3. Tyler Farrar (USA), Garmin-Slipstream, same time
4. Leonardo Duque (Col), Cofidis, same time
5. Jose Joaquin Rojas (Spa), Caisse d’Epargne, same time
OVERALL STANDINGS AFTER STAGE 10
1. Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita), AG2R, 39:11:04
2. Alberto Contador (Spa), Astana, at 0:06
3. Lance Armstrong (USA), Astana, at 0:08
4. Andreas Kloden (Ger), Astana, at 0:54
5. Levi Leipheimer (USA), Astana, at 0:54
7. Bradley Wiggins (GB), Garmin-Slipstream, at 1:01
8. Christian Vande Velde (USA), Garmin-Slipstream, at 1:24