Martin Wins Tour of Poland!
Saturday, August 07, 2010
Poland — Dan Martin of the Garmin-Transitions team wrapped up his first ProTour win Saturday, protecting his lead in the final stage of the seven-day Tour of Poland.
Martin took control of the race with an emphatic win in the mountains on Thursday. The 23-year-old Irishman rode his Felt F1 SL team bike to a solo victory in the Stage 5 finishing climb to Rownica. His Garmin-Transitions teammates, including American Tom Danielson who finished the race ninth overall, helped defend his lead over the final stages, which included another difficult summit finish on Friday.
“I’m maybe the happiest man in Poland right now,” Martin told Cyclingnews.com after his win. “When I got the yellow jersey I didn’t want to give it away.”
TOUR OF POLAND
Final General Classification
1. Dan Martin (Ire), Garmin-Transitions, 30:38:48
2. Grega Bole (Slo), Lampre-Farnesse Vini, at 0:08
3. Bauke Mollema (Ned), Rabobank, at 0:10
4. Michael Albasini (Swi), HTC-Columbia, at 0:20
5. Alessandro Ballan (Ita), BMC, at 0:21
9. Tom Danielson (USA), Garmin-Transitions, at 0:33