Italy - Just one day after yet another impressive finish by Tyler Farrar (USA) who came in 2nd in the Giro's Stage 11, Bradley Wiggins (GBR - left) uncorked a big ride in Stage 12, a grueling 60.6K individual time trial.
By any description, this particular ITT was a tough one that including significant climbing, decending and flat sections. Due to all the terrain differences, bike selection factored in as most chose to ride their regular road bike in order to gain as much advantage during the climbs. Some - Garmin's David Millar (GBR) included - actually switched bikes during the event.
Stage 12 results:
1. Denis Menchov (Rus) - 1.34.29 (38.483 km/h)
2. Levi Leipheimer (USA) - at 0.20
3. Stefano Garzelli (Ita) - at 1.03
4. Janez Brajkovic (Slo) - at 1.14
5. Franco Pellizotti (Ita) - at 1.27
6. Danilo Di Luca (Ita) - at 1.54
7. Bradley Wiggins (GBr) - at 1.59
8. Gabriele Bosisio (Ita) - at 2.04
9. Jose Serpa (Col) - at 2.13
10. Marzio Bruseghin (Ita) - at 2.17