Martin Takes Lead at Tour of Poland!
Thursday, August 05, 2010
Poland — Dan Martin of the Garmin-Transitions team took control of the Tour of Poland on Thursday, attacking on the final climb of Stage 5 to take the solo win and the overall race lead.
Martin rode away from his competitors on the climb to Rownica, winning the 149-kilometer stage with a 20-second gap over second-place finisher Grega Bole of Lampre-Farnese Vini. The Irishman said his Garmin-Transitions teammates will now help him defend the lead until the finish in Krakow on Saturday.
“We came to Poland with a very strong roster and our goal is to win the general classification,” Martin told Cyclingnews.com.
Martin now holds a 14-seond lead over Bole in the GC. His American teammate Tom Danielson is also in the mix, sitting tenth overall at 30 seconds back.
TOUR OF POLAND
1. Dan Martin (Ire), Garmin-Transitions, 3:51:13
2. Grega Bole (So), Lampre-Farnese Vini, at 0:20
3. Sylvester Szmyd (Pol), Liquigas-Doimo, same time
4. Mauro Santambrogio (Ita), BMC, same time
5. Diego Ulissi (Ita), Lampre-Farnese Vini, same time
1. Dan Martin (Ire), Garmin-Transitions, 20:52:11
2. Grega Bole (Slo), Lampre-Farnesse Vini, at 0:14
3. Alessandro Ballan (Ita), BMC, at 0:21
4. Sylvester Szmyd (Pol), Liquigas-Doimo, at 0:26
5. Michael Albasini (Swi), HTC-Columbia, at 0:28