Zabriskie Wins Tour of Missouri!
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Kansas City, Missouri — Four-time U.S. Time Trial Champion Dave Zabriskie kept the Tour of Missouri title in the Garmin-Slipstream family, capturing the overall win in the seven-day stage race after his teammate and defending champion Christian Vande Velde was forced to abandon earlier in the week following a Stage 1 crash.
Zabriskie took control of the race with an emphatic victory in the Stage 5 Time Trial in Sedalia on Friday. His Garmin-Slipstream teammates stepped up over the final two stages to defend the jersey. Zabriskie sealed the win on Sunday when he finished safely in the main pack at the end of a 116-kilometer circuit race in Kansas City.
The overall win was no foregone conclusion. The Tour of Missouri featured the most talented international field to race on U.S. soil since the Amgen Tour of California last February, and Sunday’s course was riddled with short, punchy hills and technical corners. Racers faced seven laps of a 10.2-mile circuit, and the day was filled with attacks.
In the end, Garmin-Slipstream helped bring it all back together for a field sprint at the finish. Canadian Martin Gilbert sprinted to the stage win, but it was Zabriskie taking the overall honors—and keeping that Tour of Missouri championship in Garmin-Slipstream’s hands for another year.
TOUR OF MISSOURI
Stage 7, Kansas City Circuit Race, 116 kilometers
1. Martin Gilbert (Can), Planet Energy
2. Andrew Pinfold (Can), OUCH Presented by Maxxis
3. Thor Hushovd (Nor), Cervelo Test Team
4. Bernard Eisel (Aut), Columbia-HTC
5. Kyle Wamsley (USA), Colavita-Sutter Home
1. Dave Zabriskie (USA), Garmin-Slipstream
2. Gustav Larsson (Swe), Saxo Bank
3. Marco Pinotti (Ita), Columbia-HTC
4. Tom Zirbel (USA), Bissell
5. Dario Cataldo (Ita), Quick Step